principal engineer (sky)Back
England - Yorkshire - Leeds
Sky is Europe’s leading entertainment company and serves 21 million customers across five countries. Together our people deliver the best and broadest range of content, market-leading customer service and innovative technology. We work hard to give our customers a better experience and we’re not stopping there.
Without the skills of our brilliant in-house Technology team, these game-changing innovations wouldn’t be possible. They develop pioneering products and services to give every one of our customer’s experiences they’ll love – when and wherever they want. As Sky grows, we’re seeking a talented Principal Engineer to enable the rapid delivery of high quality, customer focused services to meet and exceed customer experience and usability requirements.
Who you’ll be working with
Based at our world class Leeds Dock campus, which is one of the largest technical hubs in the UK, it’s a strategic location for our business and offers a vibrant place to work.
Our new teams have a real ‘start up’ feel and there’s loads of room for development. You’ll have the chance to use cutting edge tools and technologies to create rich user experiences; all whilst working in an Agile environment.
At Sky, we’re committed to providing great rewards to the people who drive our success, and that’s not just with a competitive salary and generous annual leave. You’ll also benefit from a free Sky+HD premium package, an excellent pension scheme, private health care and a share save scheme. There’s a vast range other benefits too that you can tailor around your personal needs.
Your key responsibilities
- You will provide technical leadership to the engineering community; as a manager, a mentor and a community leader.
- You will drive sharing of best practice and learning throughout the business.
- You will take architectural responsibility over a business domain.
- You shall take the lead on key business initiatives that span multiple delivery areas.
- Working in an agile, team driven approach with a track record of influencing beyond your immediate team.
- Use data to drive your decision-making.
- Explore new opportunities opened up by new technology innovations.
- Participate/Lead in the local tech and open source communities.
- Facilitating technical discussion across team / department.
You key skills
- Leading major change initiatives with wide technology scope.
- Experience with designing, developing and supporting high performance web applications at scale.
- Prior experience with XP principles such as pair programming, CI, and TDD
- Designing and developing commercial web sites using a mix of modern technologies and techniques.
- Act as an expert in one or more problem/technology domains (e.g. web, mobile, security & integrity, open source, data, cloud and resource elasticity, application integration and system design, etc.)
- Software engineering excellence; OO/FP design & development skills (SOLID, DRY, patterns, etc), the ability to teach these to others.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic, agile environment
- Wide-reaching knowledge of available technologies (i.e. different types of data stores from relational to key/value, document, graph and time-series)
- Leading and delivering through others and leading people through change.
- Be able identify, design and implement key technical software solutions that offer increased strategic value
- An ability to design scalable service architectures with modern solutions such as REST, HATEOS or GraphQL
- Have an understanding of web/software performance and have an ability to guide teams to reach such objectives.
- Have had experience in open-source contributions along with strong community involvement.
It’s our people that make Sky Europe’s leading entertainment company. That’s why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
If you are successful in your application for this role, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your Criminal Record Check.
If you are interested in this job, please send your application to: Sophie.email@example.com